- Published by Agence France-Presse on 7th July 2021
Haitian President Jovenel Moise at the Presidential Palace in Port-au-Prince, October 22, 2019. He was assassinated on July 7, 2021. PHOTO | AFP
- Haiti President Jovenel Moise was assassinated at his home early Wednesday morning by a group of armed individuals, interim Prime Minister Claude Joseph announced.
- Joseph said he was now in charge of the country.
- Moise’s injured wife was in the hospital, according to Joseph, who urged the public to remain calm, and insisted the police and army would ensure the population’s safety.
- “The president was assassinated at his home by foreigners who spoke English and Spanish,” Joseph said.
- Moise had been ruling Haiti, the poorest country in the Americas, by decree, after legislative elections due in 2018 were delayed in the wake of disputes, including on when his own term ends.