- Written by Leah Mahon
- Published on 6th August 2021
Jamaican poet Jean ‘Binta’ Breeze MBE leaves a longstanding mark in the literary world following her passing. (Picture: Renaissance One)
- THE PIONEERING dub poet Jean “Binta” Breeze MBE has died at the age of 65.
- Born in Jamaica, Breeze was a lauded artist and performer known for her exceptional talents in Dub poetry, leading performances at literary festivals in both the UK and across the Caribbean.
- She had undergone her training at the Jamaican School of Drama and began writing poetry in the 1970s.
- She went onto write 10 books of celebrated poems and stories, and released five albums of her work.
- According to her representatives, Renaissance One Writers and Event who announced her passing, Breeze died in Jamaica on August 4, following a “period of ill health”.