- Written by Michael Chawe
- Published on 21st June 2021
Zambia’s Chief Justice Irene Mambilima who died on June 20, 2021 in an Egyptian hospital. She was the country’s first female chief justice. PHOTO | COURTESY
- Zambia’s first female chief justice, Irene Mambilima, has died in an Egyptian hospital after being taken ill while on an official tour.
- The country’s State TV reported that Justice Mambilima died late Sunday.
- Justice Mambilima, 69, was appointed Chief Justice on February 26, 2015.
- She held a Bachelor of Laws degree from the University of Zambia and a Master of Laws degree from the University of London.
- She was admitted to the bar in 1977.
- Justice Mambilima served in various positions since she first joined the Zambian judiciary as a commissioner of the High Court in 1985. She served as a judge of the High Court from 1989 to 2002.